David Shapiro's Missing People is premiering at Toronto's Hot Docs Film Festival, which runs from April 23rd - May 3rd. The film was produced by Alan Oxman and edited by TEC alums Adam Kurnitz and Rebecca Laks. Read more about it here.
The New York Times is now hosting short-form documentaries that have been made by Kickstarter. The Last Ice Merchant, a film by TEC alum Sandy Patch, was chosen to be one of the first six documentaries. Congratulations!
Seymour: An Introduction, a film produced by TEC alum Heather Smith and filmed by TEC alum Ramsey Fendall, will be released in theaters this Friday at IFC Center and Lincoln Plaza.
Congratulations to the September 2012 class! Growing Up and Other Lies will be opening in NYC theaters on March, 20th! The film should be playing for at least a week at the Quad Cinema.
TEC alums Betsy Kagen and Hannah Vanderlan served as associate editors on the film.
Beginning Friday, you'll also be able to find Bluebird on VHX, iTunes, Amazon, Vimeo, and Google Play.
The film was a May 2012 six-week class project and TEC alum Betsy Kagen served as associate editor.
Alum Christina Burchard was additional editor on the Academy Award winning documentary, Citizenfour. Congratulations!
Netflix recently acquired Hot Girls Wanted, a documentary examining the amateur porn industry. TEC alum Becky Laks served as additional editor on the film.
Cartel Land, edited and co-produced by TEC alum Matthew Hamachek was acquired by The Orchard. The film won the Sundance Directing Award as well as the Special Jury Award for Cinematography in the documentary competition.
Two class films were part of the line up at the Berlin International Film Festival this year!
- Petting Zoo was a project in the November 2012 six-week class
- Queen of Earth was a project in the October 2014 six-week class. It was directed by Alex Ross Perry and TEC alums Dylan Greiss and Regina Sobel served as associate editors. TEC alums Anthony Mascorro and Brian Young served as assistant editors.
The lineup for the 2015 SXSW Film Festival was just announced and it includes three films with strong Edit Center connections:
- Petting Zoo was a project in the November 2012 six-week class.
- Mavis! was edited by alum Amy Foote and produced by alum Rachel Mills.
- Adult Beginners was edited by TEC teacher Paul Frank. Alum Dylan Greiss was the assistant editor and and alum Diane Nicole Pangelinan was a post-production intern.
Work by four TEC alums can be seen at Sundance this year.
- Hot Girls Wanted will premiere in the documentary competition. TEC alum Becky Laks served as additional editor.
- Cartel Land was edited and co-produced by TEC alum Matthew Hamachek
- Experimenter was edited by TEC alum Kathryn Schubert. It stars Peter Sarsgaard and Winona Ryder.
- The Witch was edited by TEC alum Louise Ford